Programs/projects related to dance only will be considered.
- Endowment funds
- Capital projects
- Private schools (below college level)
- Video/film/book projects
- Outside of New York City
NOTE TO PROPOSERS: In recognition of the hardships that artists and arts organizations are facing due to the continuing COVID-19 crisis, please note our application procedures for our Fall 2021 grant cycle:
1. The proposal deadline for our Fall 2021 grant cycle is AUGUST 1st, 2021 (date of receipt).
2. We are not accepting hard copy proposals for this cycle. To mitigate any logistical problems such as lack of access to records, office supplies and equipment while people are working remotely, we welcome emailed proposals for our Fall 2021 cycle, which will consider requests for FY22 or calendar year 2022 support.
3. Please include all the pieces listed below. Email your proposal materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please use this format: HARKNESS 8/1/21 PROPOSAL — NAME OF YOUR ORGANIZATION or ARTIST’S NAME. Make sure to prominently include your full company contact information (contact name, phone, email, mailing address). If your remote work situation necessitates a temporary mailing address other than your usual company address, please include all the information above in the text of your email.
4. We will email you confirmation of receipt in reply to your submission. If you do not receive this confirmation by a week after submitting, please follow up with an email to email@example.com.
Please submit your proposal for consideration six months in advance of your program or project.
- AUGUST 1 to be considered at our Fall Board Meeting
- DECEMBER 1 to be considered at our Winter Board Meeting
- APRIL 1 to be considered at our Spring Board Meeting
Email one copy of your proposal items to the general Harkness office email address as per instructions (see note #3 above). Please make sure your return address, email and phone contact are clearly indicated on your proposal. Please also include any remote work address to which USPS mail should be sent, if applicable. Proposals must be received by the deadline date. All applications must include:
- One-page cover letter detailing amount requested and purpose: general operating support, ongoing program, or specific project
- Narrative describing your proposed program(s)/project
- Historical summary of organization
- Program/project budget
- Organization/Artist annual budget
- Copy of tax exempt letter (Fiscally sponsored artists must include letter of fiscal sponsorship plus tax exempt letter of sponsoring organization)
- List of board members & their affiliation
- Biographical sketch of key artistic personnel
- Financial statement (last available)
- Support material such as a performance review, lesson plan, and/or video samples of representative work via Vimeo or YouTube links emailed within the proposal submission or separately to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Harkness Foundation for Dance
145 East 48th Street, Suite 26C
New York, NY 10017-1259
Office phone: (212) 755-5540
Remote Office phone: (646) 436-3730