Programs/projects related to dance only will be considered.
- Endowment funds
- Capital projects
- Private schools (below college level)
- Video/film/book projects
- Outside of New York City
NOTE TO PROPOSERS: In recognition of the hardships that artists and arts organizations are facing due to the continuing COVID-19 crisis, please note our streamlined application procedures for our Fall 2022 grant cycle:
1. The proposal deadline for our Fall 2022 grant cycle is AUGUST 1st, 2022 (date of receipt).
2. We are no longer accepting hard copy proposals. We welcome emailed proposals for our Fall 2022 cycle, which will consider requests for FY23 and calendar year 2023 support. You may send us the items below as separate files in any format (pdf, Excel, Word); as a zip file; or as a single combined pdf.
3. Please include all the pieces listed below. Email your proposal materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please use this format: HARKNESS 8/1/22 PROPOSAL — NAME OF YOUR ORGANIZATION or ARTIST’S NAME. Make sure to prominently include your full company contact information (contact name, phone, email, mailing address) on the front page of your proposal. If you are currently using a temporary mailing address other than your usual company address, please include all the relevant contact information both in the text of your email and in your cover letter. Should this information change, please alert us by emailing email@example.com with the new information.
4. We will email you confirmation of receipt in reply to your submission. If you do not receive this confirmation by a week after submitting, please follow up with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your proposal for consideration six months in advance of your program or project.
- AUGUST 1 to be considered at our Fall Board Meeting
- DECEMBER 1 to be considered at our Winter Board Meeting
- APRIL 1 to be considered at our Spring Board Meeting
Email one copy of your proposal items to the general Harkness office email address email@example.com as per the instructions above. REMINDER: Please make sure the name of your contact person, return address, email, and phone number(s) are clearly indicated on your proposal. Please also include any remote work address to which USPS mail should be sent, if applicable. Proposals must be received by the deadline date. All applications should include:
- One-page cover letter detailing the amount you are requesting and the purpose: general operating support, ongoing program support, or specific project support.
- Narrative describing your proposed program(s)/project. (1-2 pages)
- Historical summary of organization or artist’s work. (1-2 pages)
- Program/project budget.*
- Organization/Artist annual budget.*
* In both budgets, please include both projected expenses and projected income, with contributed income sources itemized and marked ‘received’ or ‘pending’ as appropriate.
- Copy of IRS tax exempt letter. Fiscally sponsored artists should instead include their letter of fiscal sponsorship plus the IRS tax exempt letter of their sponsoring organization.
- List of board members & their affiliation. Fiscally sponsored artists: you do not need to include your fiscal sponsor’s board list.
- Short bios of key artistic personnel.
- Financial statement (last available). If your organization does not engage an auditor, please include your most recent short form 990. Fiscally sponsored artists: you do not need to include the financial statement for the fiscal sponsor organization. We will contact them directly if we need this.
- A few representative pieces of support material, such as a performance review, lesson plan, and/or 2 to 3 video samples of representative work via Vimeo or YouTube links emailed within the proposal submission or separately to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Harkness Foundation for Dance
145 East 48th Street, Suite 26C
New York, NY 10017-1259
Office phone: (212) 755-5540
Remote Office phone: (646) 436-3730